Minutes - January 2014
MINUTES OF BORTH COMMUNITY COUNCIL MEETING HELD IN THE COMMUNITY
HALL ON MONDAY 6 JANUARY 2014 AT 19.00 HRS
Present: Chairperson: C Bainbridge
G B Jones
M J Willcox
W J Williams
In Attendance: County Cllr: R P Quant
Clerk: M Walker
6 Members of the Public.
278. Cllr G Ashley.
DECLARATION OF INTERESTS
279. To remind Cllrs concerning of any matters of interest that may arise during the meeting. Cllr Bainbridge reminded members and the public that all mobile phones should be switched off during the meeting.
280. It was resolved to confirm the minutes of the Council meeting held on 2 December 2013 as being a true record.
281. Balchder Pentrefi Application. Minute 249. Cllr Bryn Jones gave an update under Councillor’s Responsibilities.
282. World War 1 Centenary. Minute 251. Ongoing.
283. Priorities for Borth. Minute 252. Ongoing.
284. Christmas Dinner. Minute 253. The date for the function has been changed to Friday 7th February 2014.
285. Dogs. Minute 272. Ongoing.
286. Standing Orders. The Model Standing Orders have recently been revised and One Voice Wales are recommending that all Councils review their current standing orders. The Clerk said she would compare both sets of orders and report back to Council at a later date.
287. Tourism Partnership Mid Wales. An invitation to comment on the final draft stage of a management plan for the county.
288. Dyfi Biosphere. December newsletter.
289. First World War Commemorative. A request to complete a short form distributed by an organisation called Cymru’n Cofio Wales Remembers 1914-1918 who are collating and sharing information on activities which mark the centenary of the First World War in Wales.
290. Domestic Refuse Collection. A reply to a recent letter sent in respect of the review of the refuse collection service which means that the vehicle will no longer be driving down private roads to collect refuse. The review has taken into consideration the damage being caused to the lanes themselves and to their refuse collection vehicles. However, with regards to the elderly residents of the lane they will consider each case on an individual basis if they are experiencing any medical problems with presentation of refuse.
291. Words into Action. Details of the Welsh Language in Health, Social Services and Social Care Awards 2014. The search is on again for groups or individuals who have gone the extra mile to ensure that patients and service users receive services through the medium of Welsh as a natural part of their care.
292. Welsh Government. A summary report of the Natural Resources Conference.
293. One Voice Wales. Details of training programmes between January and July 2014. The Clerk was asked to confirm the qualification for a free place.
294. One Voice Wales. OVW and the Welsh Government have recently signed a Memorandum of Understanding which is a statement of the working relationship and partnership between both organisations which sets out how they will work together and with their membership to promote and support local democracy and public services.
295. Ceredigion HPW. BT Openreach will be undertaking the installation of their Superfast Broadband service in Borth in 2014 and Ceredigion County Council is requesting dates of any events that are taking place in the village so that BT can plan ahead and work around them.
296. Leri Garage. A letter from the planning enforcement officer following the letter forwarded to him from Mr Graham Taylor. The officer confirms that he will visit the site and make an assessment.
297. Minor Authority Representation on Governing Bodies. Following the resignation of Cllr Jackie Lawrence it has been confirmed that she can no longer represent Borth Community Council on the governing body of Ysgol Graig yr Wylfa. It was proposed and seconded that Cllr Carol Bainbridge be elected as the new representative.
298. One Voice Wales. The Welsh Government is reviewing the options for the future of council tax support in Wales and their aim is to develop a scheme which is equitable and sustainable, and delivers the maximum protection for low income and vulnerable households within the financial constraints. The consultation seeks views on their decisions which will form part of the review.
299. Dyfi Biosphere. A request for information on the creation of interpretation panels, including a map of the whole area.
300. Welsh Government. Details of the limit for 2014-15 under “Section 137 Expenditure”.
301. Ceredigion County Council. Dates of the forthcoming Ethics and Standards Committee meetings.
302. Buckingham Palace Garden Parties. The quota allocated to One Voice Wales this year is thirty invitations split between the three dates of 21st May, 3rd June and 10th June. The invitation is to the current (outgoing) Chairperson in recognition of past service and a guest of their choice.
303. Coastal Defence Scheme. Concerns from Mrs Farmer of Ynyslas that areas which the public use are made safe during coastal defence works.
304. Donation Requests. Stroke Association for Wales.
305. Traffic Regulation Order Review. A request from Ceredigion for Councils to submit further requests for changes to parking restrictions which will be considered by Officers as part of the upcoming review.
306. Ms A Budge. A letter from Ms Budge expressing her concerns in respect of sandbags, the re-instating of the boards along the sea-side alleyways and the maintenance of roadside drains.
307. Balance of Accounts at 13 December 2013
Community Acct 3,665.73
Business No Notice Acct 2,8521.61
Deposit Account 2,766.67
RNLI rent 500.00
Business No Notice Acct – gross int to 5 Dec 2013 3.71
309. Expenditure. It was resolved to pay the following accounts:
Ceredigion County Council – SLA public toilets 5,400.00
Post Office Ltd – Clerk’s PAYE 147.00
M Walker – Clks Salary 525.27, off exp 2.98 528.25
S J Jones – Xmas Tree 50.00
310. The Chairman confirmed that all new signatories had been added to the HSBC account and for clarification purposes 2 Councillors would be required to sign the cheques.
311. Application for Full Planning Permission
A130757. Erection of a bungalow, garage and storage shed. Tynewydd, Borth. Notification of a site meeting to be held on Friday 20th December at 11am.
A130886. Conversion and alteration of amusement arcade to form an extension to existing restaurant and alterations and renovations to first floor flat. It’s a Gift, High Street, Borth. Borth Community Council has no objection to the application and welcomes any enhancement to the gateway into Borth.
BUDGETS AND PRECEPT 2014/2015
312. The Clerk distributed up to date expenditure and balance figures up to the 27th December 2013 together with a financial plan for 2014/15 which was presented and discussed in detail by Cllr Quant. It was resolved to budget as follows for the financial period 2014/15.
Clerks Salary 7,039.00
Office Expenses 300.00
Clerks Gratuity Fund 140.00
Chairpersons Allowance 200.00
Winter Maintenance 400.00
Amenities – Hall Revenue 6,000.00
Community & Arts Facilities 2,500.00
Audit Fee 400.00
Toilets adj to RNLI – winter opening 4,500.00
313. It was resolved to set the precept at 65% which amounted to £18,937.10.
FLOOD AWARENESS ACTION PLAN
314. Cllr Hulse gave a brief update on the plan which required further additions or possible amendments following the recent flooding in Borth and Ynyslas. Councillors have been invited to a meeting of the action group to discuss the plan which has been arranged for Tuesday 21st January 2014.
315. No report.
316. Cllr Dalton asked for bigger dog signs on the entrances onto the beach as well as on both sides of the steps. Cllr John James has serious concerns about parking on the roadside outside the crematorium. Cllr Quant said he would speak to Highways. Cllr Williams said that a car had hit the telephone by Wallog Lodge which resulted in the wires being down. Cllr Willcox is concerned that Ynyslas has become an island during the recent flooding and suggested raising the dip in the road concerned by approximately a foot. Cllr Quant said he would speak to Highways on the matter. Cllr Willcox referred to the leat at the rear of the houses which appears to be in riparian ownership. Cllr Margaret Griffiths asked whether Ceredigion County Council would be helping residents affected by flood damage, in particular taking carpets away etc. She also raised the issue of a caravan on the main car park opposite Brynowen which seems to have been parked on the land for some time. Cllr Hulse said that the residents of Ynyslas were hoping to do a litter pick following the recent storms. Cllr Bryn Jones gave an update on the Balchder Pentrefi project. He confirmed that the seating was now in place. He also informed members that the invoices to Alun Hughes and Catrin Webster would have to be paid up front as the Council will then have to reclaim the 60% funding from the grant scheme.
COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORT
317. Cllr Quant gave a brief update on his meeting with the Welsh Government Minister Alun Davies. They discussed flooding etc and the need for funding for Phase 2. Cllr Quant has received positive feedback on the reef as far as coastal protection is concerned.
NEXT MEETING AND MATTERS FOR AGENDA
318. There being no further business the Chairman closed the public meeting at 9.20pm. Agenda items for the next meeting to be held on Monday 3 February 2014 are to be notified to the Clerk.
- Hits: 7037